1, Trời ơi: Oh my God
- Trời ơi, you’re so beautiful: Compliment someone
- Trời ơi, why am I so unlucky like this?: Complaint or lament
Ơi: is a function word which is used when you call someone or to attract someone’s attraction.
2, Bó tay (Tie/Bind hands): Give up doing something
- You and your friend try to find a tutor that is good at English, Vietnamese and Thai. You have searched from all sources of information for weeks but you can’t find anyone. You will say to your friend: Bó tay
- You and your family are going to have a picnic. Your sister wants to choose one of her favourite places and keeps changing her mind. You can make a complaint: Trời ơi, bó tay
3, Ủa?: is a function word that is normally put at the beginning of the sentence to express surprise for something unexpected
- Mày có biết rằng Melissa là người Úc gốc Việt không? (Do you know that Melissa is Vietnamese Australian?)
- Ủa, tao cứ tưởng nó là Úc gốc Thái chứ. (No, I thought she’s Thai Australia)
- Sao bà không trả lời tin nhắn của tui dzạ? Why didn’t you reply to me?
- Ủa, tui trả lời rồi mà. (I did rely to you)
4, Cái gì! (What!): is a question word and also a function word that is normally put at the beginning of the sentence to express surprise or astonishment to something unexpected. This word expresses a bigger surprise.
- Mày có biết rằng Melissa sẽ đi Châu Âu làm việc không? (Do you know that Melissa will be going to Europe for work?)
- Cái gì, nó xin visa khi nào? (What, when did she apply for the visa?)
5, Không đời nào! Không thể nào! (No way!)
- Mày có biết rằng Melissa sắp cưới thằng Peter không? (Do you know that Melissa will be going to get married with Peter?)
- Không đời nào! Nó còn hẹn hò với thằng Bob cách đây 1 tháng mà (No way! She was still dating with Bob 1 month ago)
6, Khoan: is a function word whose usage is quite similar to “wait”. We normally put “Khoan” before a sentence that you want to say in priority, immediately or when you want to stop somebody from doing something and for you to do your thing first.
- You are playing cards with your friend, It’s your turn and you can win the current round. However you choose to hang on to a really good card that will give you an even better win in a later round. You will say: Wait! Let me think about it a little longer: Khoan! Để tao nghĩ tí nữa đã.